For those of us in the U.S., most will be enjoying a long weekend with the President’s Day holiday on Monday, February 18th. What will you do with your extra time? Even if you have to work on Monday, how could you better convert your “free time” into “me time?”
1. Take the opportunity right now to thoughtfully assess each domain of your life:
- How is your health? When did you last exercise? Do you love your body?
- Do you look forward to your work? Have you been investing in your value?
- Is your bank account healthy? Is your lifestyle sustainable?
- Are you engaged with your spiritual side, is applicable? Do you feel peace?
- Where do your relationships and network stand? Any accounts overdrawn?
- Are you feeling creative and stimulated? Read a non-fiction book lately?
2. Align areas that could be improved with a fun and neglected activity:
- Health: Go for a hike. Dust off the bikes. Make a new salad recipe.
- Vocation: Re-write your resume. Check-in with a connection. Read.
- Wealth: Practice frugal living. Eat from the pantry. Set some goals.
- Spirituality: Pray. Read spiritual material. Meditate.
- Relationships: Send a gift. Tell someone you care. Send a resource.
- Self: Watch a documentary. Read an interesting book. Brainstorm.
3. Pick one and do it…right now!
Not only will you be making a much needed deposit into a more balanced lifestyle, you will be multiplying your success in other areas by stimulating creativity and new perspectives.
If we continue to live the same way day to day, we cannot expect to ever achieve extraordinary results. The world awaits. Don’t let it pass you by while you watch back-t0-back episodes of the latest distraction.
If we would only give the same amount of reflection to what we want out of life that we give to the question of what to do with two weeks’ vacation, we would be startled at our false standards and the aimless procession of our busy days.
– Dorothy Canfield Fisher